Friday, September 25, 2009

Self Hate Song: Sick Of Myself By Mathew Sweet





Though I dearly loved the songs of the 60's, 70's and 80's hits that were played on 24K, when the 90's rolled in, there were a lot of cool songs and great bands that burst into the music scene. Most the songs were of anguish, insecurity, frustration and all the pent-up emotions that we keep inside. Unlike the past three decades were songs were cheerful or tripping, these songs spoke straight from the heart of about all the anger and insecurities that one felt. It made me feel that I was born in the wrong generation. One such song that I really like was "Sick Of Myself" by Mathew Sweet. This was a stark contrast to all the cheery-pop songs that I heard from my time. For me, it was about a guy who really was messed up and when he saw a special someone, it really made him take a good look at himself. A lot of times, we all feel that way when things loose their meaning and we just waste away. Then out of the blue, someone comes along and makes us realize what it is that we are doing to ourselves which inspires us to change. The question is if that person is aware of the effect that he or she has on this messed up dude. I'm not surprise if at some point in our lives someone comes along and forces us to change. Especially when we're at the end of our rope, we suddenly ask ourselves what have we been doing lately. Then we realize how messed up we are and we start to take action towards change. Whether we catch that attention of that person or not what's important is that we have become better people as a result. I call this the selfhate song because when you realize what you have become, you really hate it and really there are better things out there for you, hence the time to change.

No comments: