Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Overlooked Song/Southern Pride: Rebel By Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers



As I have said time and time again, what draws me to Rt's 24K program is that they play the hits that I grew up listening to. Many of these songs were never played anywhere else which makes them all the more valuable to my view. When RT and 24Kir was back on air, I was overjoyed and even more so that the program was now on the weekend and playing for two straight days instead of one. Still, there are lot of songs that I wish the program would play on air. One such song was by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers called "Rebels".

I remember listening to this song every morning while going to school and I never tire of listening to it. My idea of what this song is all about is his being proud of his Southern Heritage. Although these days, political correct activists would accuse him of racists because every time I see them play this song, they always have the Confederate flag on hand. I don't think that's the case and like it or not, that flag is part of where he came from and he's not shy to show it. Either way this song is really cool and it helped wake me up for school better than a cup of coffee.

I plan to request this song from RT this coming weekend. It's been a while since I heard it on the air and the last time was when I was in High School. Songs like this should always be preserved and I guess I'm gonna give the DJs of 24K another challenge by asking for this song. Also, I wish they'd play some of the great and rare hits from the 60's and 70's, many of which were found only on RT. These songs should be heard by everyone for they are truly worth their weight in 24K gold.

No comments: