Saturday, May 3, 2008

Seeking Comfort: I'll Be Your Shelter by Taylor Dayne





I have to admit when I was in high school, I was never a fan of Taylor Dayne. She was one of those popsingers who sang dance tracks much like Paula Abdul. However, during my first year in college, she came out with a song and a music video that caught my attention. This song came out around 1990. It was during a time when I was experiencing a lot of low points as a college freshman. The song was shelter which best explains my attachment for this song during my low periods.

The video really got me sold to this which was set somehere in the desert during the depression where a group of work-weary down-and-out drifters gathered at a stage where Taylor was singing this song clad in a small black dress. As she sang, the drifters got out of their cars and some took off their hats as the rain poured down and their headlights switched on. Rain itself was a form of giving the audience relief as it washed away the weariness and frustration that they felt.

The first thing that caught my ear was the beat of the song and this that period in my life where I was searching high and low for good songs and a good station that play them. Some of the lyrics that I remember from this song was the line where she sang about providing the listener a love that's deep and warm and true and that she'll be there. When things don't go well, lines like that really hit you hard. Now that I'm older, I find longing for this song. It made me feel good back then, it still makes me feel good now.

No comments: