Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Unsatisfied Endings And Finding Closure: Goodbye By Night Ranger



If I can name one side effect that listening to 24k Friday program has on me is that it's made me grow more and more sentimental. I guess it's because I think a lot about the things that could have been and what I've missed out in my youth. When there were so many things that didn't work out and it's too late to change it, moving on can be very slow and very hard. It's like arriving late at the probably the most important party in your life and seeing everybody filing out and heading home. I had the same feeling as my graduation day grew near. I remember after the exercise, I wanted to say goodbye to a lot of people, sadly everyone had their own plans and were in a hurry to celebrate. When I look back today and I realize that there were a lot of things that I missed out and I knew that I can never go back like that Song "Goodbye" by Night Ranger.

This song came out during my graduating year in high school where the good times of youth were coming to a end. The song talks about about closing a chapter within one's life and that gets more and more difficult as one grows older. Whenever this song gets played, the memories of my high school days flood my mind and I find myself sitting down and not caring about anything else. A lot times I think a the good times and the good people I spent them with and I look around, I wonder where have they gone? I hear the laughter, smell the cigarettes and taste the beer, then it vanishes and I'm left with the memory of those times.

When I look at how old some of nephews and nieces are, I begin to feel the weight of my age as I realize that my time has past. It's not an easy thing to accept especially when I still have a lot of things to sort out. When I think about that party scenario, it reminds me of The movie "Fandango" where the film ends with Kevin Costner watches the scenery as the night comes and I see that unsatisfied look on his face. Well I guess what's done is done and it's time to move on. Who knows, maybe someday, I will be able to find some closure and when that happens then I know I'm ready to say goodbye for real.

No comments: