Friday, May 23, 2008

City Life Tales: Baker Street By Gerry Rafferty


Unlike my brothers, I was always a walking man, meaning that I never drove to work, only commuted to and back. Whether it was day or night, rain or shine, how far I travelled depended on my transport fare and and how my feet would hold up in going to the places I need to go. It's not always that bad to commuted cause sometimes you get the chance to a pretty young lass sit next to you in a crowded jeep. When you walk, you not only get an up close view of the places and people on the street, you also sense that these places and people have their own story to tell. Keeping that in mind I often play the song "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty in my head as I begin the daily pilgrimage.

The songs reminds of the different people we see on the street as we set about to do what we need to during the day. It describes the different people in the mythical street who each have their hopes and dreams as well as their weakeness. Some get fulfilled, some don't, either way, life goes on as everybody tries to make it through the day. As the day ends and some dreams don't get fulfilled, well, there's always tomorrow. You just have to pull yourself up to face it.

As I have written in my entry about the song "In The City" by the Eagles, the City can be hard on people sometimes and at other times, it can show it's more gentle side, especially when you take time out and look at it after a hard day's work. When I look at different people as I make my way home, sometimes their facial expression gets my notice as each face tells tale about that person and what happened to him or her during the day. It's not just me as I see through the corner of my eye, other commuters are doing the same thing: Trying to see what's the story behind this person as they wait for their stop. Alas,sometimes when we're so close to knowing, it's time for us to get off the ride. Well, tomorrow's another day and I'm sure I'll be able to see another group of people and I'm sure that they have their own story to tell about the City.

No comments: