Friday, May 16, 2008

A Rare Find: Gold By John Stewart




As a guy who likes listening to golden oldies, I am very hard to please. I go for songs that are really hard to find which is why I became an 24k addict. It strikes me as odd that such great tunes can disappear and never be played again. It's sad because these were really good songs and the fact that the generation who listened to them forgot all about them is like throwing a perfect diamond to the ocean. I really like digging up these old songs because as I have stated in many of my entries , the songs not only sound cool, they also say something about myself as well as the good times I have shared with my buddies and my brothers, where it was a laugh, a beer, something stronger or all of the above, these songs are like important parts that make up who I am. One rare song that I was able to dig up was a song that was played by John Stewart back in ’79 called “Gold”.

I remember every time this song played, we would sing along with it. When Sold Gold premiered, this was one of the songs that were played live. The first time I saw John Stewart, I thought he looked like Clint Eastwood. My brothers and I would often laugh and think about it now still amuses me. It was the time of song you can sing along in your car or when you drinking with friends. What makes this song even more cool was the fact that Stevie Nicks sang back vocals for John.

I had forgotten who sang this song because it was no longer being played on air. As I grew up, fact that I can’t remember the singer’s name kept gnawing at my thoughts. Then one day I read in the newspapers a release stating that John Stewart has died of a brain aneurysm. As I read the write-up, something caught my eye and that was the fact he wrote the hit song gold which I liked so much when I was young. That really saddened me because for many years, I tried to remember who sang it and now that I know, he’s gone. Rest In Peace John and thanks for the song.



No comments: