Wednesday, October 24, 2012

When What Was Once Hot Is Not: Gathering Dust By Modern English





Lately when I take a walk around the neighborhood, I notice that a lot of neighbors are holding garage sales.  Their reasons for doing so is because either they the money or they are just making space for new stuff. No matter what the reasons, its a great way to do than to get rid of the old and make a profit while doing it.  Still, when I look at how old some of the stuff their sell are, sometimes it saddens me that they have been retired and were now gathering dust because they are no longer in style or in use.  When I think about things that were once cool but are now gathering dust, it reminds me of the song "Gathering Dust" by Modern English.

As I was going over some of the things for sale, I remember how popular some of these items were.  Some were selling old VHS and VCRs while I saw clothes that were all the rage when I was a teenager.  Back then, when we had these things, it was considered the must-haves as everybody wanted them.  If you had them you were cool and everybody would go to your place to watch a movie on the VHS or play Pac Man or Space Invaders.  Those were the days.

Nowadays, it's a whole new ball game as new gadgets from Iphones to Ipads are popping up and the games are so sophisticated that you can play them with other people online.  I bet these once cool items were already gathering dust and will be lucky if anyone buys them.  Still they take me back to the days when I was young and they were the rage.  Kinda makes me sad at the realization that if their time has gone then so has mine.  Well was hot long is now not and so I hope someone buys them  cause it does my hear good to see someone recognize their value.


No comments: