Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When The Classics Get Ruined:What They've Done To My Song By Melanie Safka



When a song is good I can listen to it all day,  That's why I keep my ears glued to 99.5 rt's 24K Weekend program cause they're so good that I can't get enough of them.  Same thing goes when I watch a great movie or television show or series.  However, whenever a great song gets used a commercial or remade and a movie is redone only to become a poor imitation, well that gets to my nerves.  When songs and movies are ruined due to these kinds of actions, the song "What They've Done To My Song" by Melanie Safka comes to mind.

When song is remade by another artist, for some reason I get warning bells.  Some remakes by contemporary artists make me want to shut off the radio or tempt me to smash it with a bat.  It gets worse when it's used in a commercial because it takes away the substance from a very good song,  When I hear that a movie is going to be remade, I am not impressed.  It either gets glossed over with so much violence or repackaged to be "politically correct" and for me that's an insult to the original.

The originals were classics because they came up with good things that people at the time were not able to conceptualize.  It also hit  a certain message to its viewers and despite the restrictions and lack of resources, they came up with something poignant.  Just because we have better technology or more financial resources, we think we can do better? Not! Leave the classics alone because they're originals that deserved to stay untouched.




No comments: