Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Tough Englishman In New York: The Equalizer Theme By Stewart Copeland



Once again, I am taking time off, from my regular 24K tunes to remember one of my favorite television shows.  It was about retired British Intelligence Agent who hired his skills to people in need. It starred the late Edward Woodward who gained fame in such films as "Breaker Morant" and "The Wicker Man", but for me he will always be the hard-hitting defender-of-the-weak former secret agent Robert Mc Call in the cult classic television show "The Equalizer".  The theme alone made an impression on me that written former Police drummer Stewart Copeland.

The first time I saw the trailer for the show, I was impressed and when I watched the first episode where he defended a woman from a stalker and a couple from some crooks, I was hooked.  The way he put the fear of God into the bad guys kept me coming back for more since the action was really exciting at the time.  The use of the ballistic knife against Adam Ant of all people as well as all the shoot-out and fight scenes were top-rate at the time.  Most of all, I liked the fact that in the end, the hostages are freed; the damsels have been saved and the bad guys really paid for their crimes.

Sadly, his health couldn't keep up with the demands of the show and eventually it ended around 1989.  I still have fond memories of that show.  Not only was it action-packed but also taught important lessons in life about out of trouble; mending relationships and how redemption is possible.  I was saddened to hear about Woodward's death in 2009.  I miss him and the show and thank for playing the defender of the week and the tough Englishman in New York.


No comments: