Monday, July 20, 2009

Trying To Get Out Of The Box: Boy In The Box By Corey Hart



A lot of people have a hard time figuring me out. One reason for this is because I mostly keep to myself and when I was a kid, I had a hard time relating with others. Even today, I tend to be very secretive about myself and to myself even when interactive with others at work or with other people outside the family. Even when I'd like to seek the company of others, I still tend to lean towards being alone. Whenever I hear Corey Hart's song, "Boy In A Box", it reminds me of the shell that I still live in and how I try to live with it day by day.

I guess it's because I was raised in a very secluded place where I had no one but my parents and my brothers to interact with. Staying in that place for almost 30 years bred two kinds of people: Those who enjoyed the seclusion and those who longed to go outside. I guess I was the former because ever since I was thrusted to the outside world, I always had a hard time interacting with people. I had a hard time getting along with people and it took me a long time before I was able to adjust to interacting with others. In struggling to adapt to the demands of the outside world I realize that no man is an island and that meeting and exchanging ideas with others helps you grow a person which help motivate me to get off my shell or my "box".

These I'm not as reclusive as I once was back then for I am making an effort to interact with others. Although I sometimes prefer to be in loner mode, I now realize just how important it is to be able to interact with others. Interacting helps you grow by learning new ideas and seeing new things which I admit I missed out by being reclusive. Right now, I am trying to catch up to the things that I missed and hopefully, my efforts will bear fruit. It's a whole lot better than being locked in a box where you just wind up eating yourself inside out where you gain nothing but spite and loneliness.

No comments: