Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sax Crazy: Baby Jane By Rod Stewart



One thing that I noticed about today's music is that I seldom hear any horns in any of the new bands. When I listen to a lot of the music and bands that I grew up with, I noticed that once in a while there was always a good horn solo, specifically that of the saxophone. For some reason,it added more soul to the music. With the exception of metal and hard rock, whenever I hear a good sax blare out from the background, it really catches your attention. One good example of this is Rod Stewart's song "Daisy Jane".

No don't get me wrong, a lot of songs that I have entered into this blog have really good sax play. Among them are Nicolette Larson's Lotta Love, Bruce Springsteen's I'm Going Down, Little River Band's Cool Change, Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street and even Billy Idol's Catch My Fall among others have better sax sounds. I guess the reason why I focused on the sax is because this the best thing about this song that I like.
For some reason good saxophone can the steal the show from wild drums or fast guitar riffs. That's how I see it.

Although this is a another typical love song from the 80's, nevertheless it retains that 24K quality which is simply that it hasn't been played anywhere else, it practically disappeared with the decade and only RT remembers it. Just like other 24K songs, it keeps me glued to the radio once it starts playing. It took me a while to appreciate it but now that I'm older, I appreciate now. The sax play alone was worth it. I hope RT preserves this and plays other 24K songs on the weekend to let other know what good song this is.

No comments: