Saturday, July 11, 2009

If GQ and Esquire Made A Video: Avalon By Roxy Music




Man, when I think about the eighties, it was the time things started to be more streamlined and classy. I remember all the GQ and Esquire magazines that my brother would bring home and we'd look over the clothes, especially the jackets and the shoes to see what was in. People back then were starting to get really fashion conscious as they tried to keep up with what was "in". A lot of the trend was more on high class and for the A crowd. When I think about those days, I remember the song "Avalon" by Roxy Music.

If a fashion magazine made a music video, they'd probably use this song. For some reason, everytime, I hear this song, I feel like I'm in one of those high-class environments where everybody wears formal attire while trying their best to look good in it. From my last years in high school to college, I have to admit, I had to attend a lot of functions where I had to be in formal attire. Though I felt very awkward at such occassions, it was kinda neat to dress up good once in a while. Trouble was I was never the kind of person for such a place and it was never my style to keep up with the jonesess.

These days, I just keep it simple and I seldom venture out to such gatherings. With the way things are right now, other people are doing the same. When it comes down to it, I'm just an average joe. Still, being able to look your best and be at such places has its good points such as learning proper manners and how to act properly with other people These are things which brings out the best in you is a skill you'll need in the real world. I just chalk it up to experience.

No comments: