Sunday, July 19, 2009

One Of My Favorite Rock Songs: Raised On Rock By Keel




The trouble of growing up in the eighties was that a lot of the songs and music were mostly pop songs, most of which I wasn't able to appreciate during my youth. This was because most of the music I listened were the ones that my brothers played in the house such as rock, blues, jazz, folk and metal(there was some disco at the time and I was glad they broke that habit). As a result, I was always going against the flow and I had a hard time fitting in. That's why whenever there was a good rock song being played, I savored it like sweet water in the middle of a drought. One such song that I enjoyed listened to when I was younger was "Raised On Rock" by Keel.

This was one of those hair "metal" bands which was the prevalent type of rock during my generation. A lot of them had big hair, leathers and spandex, but they knew how to get the fans going once the volume went full blast. This was played a lot of times when I was on my way to school. One good thing about this song was that it waked me up in the mornings which got the adrenalin running and prepared me for my class. The effect was always better than pot of coffee when it came to waking up the soul.

More than just a good song, I had a lot of good memories about it such meeting good friends, sharing a drink and going places with other people. When the 90's rolled in, grudge became the "in" thing which didn't last very long. These days I really feel old because I can't relate to the music that's being played on regular days. That's why whenever the weekends roll in, I keep my ears glued to 24K Weekend cause it's music I can relate with and all the memories come alive for two straight days. I hope RT plays this song because there are a lot of good memories go along with it.

No comments: