Wednesday, March 11, 2009

When Heroes Are A Dime A Dozen: We Don't Need Another Hero By Tina Turner



Whether it's on print or television, everytime I see the news broadcast about all the corruption and mayhem going around, you wonder if there's anyone out there who'll save the day. When I remember all those people who started the Edsa Revolution way back when, I thought they were heroes. Instead things went from bad to worse and the so-called heroes are now squabbling with each other. Instead of one dictator, we get a lot of power-hungry politicians waiting in the wings for their chance to grab power. When I think of heroes who turned into disappointments, I remember the song, "We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner.

They start out as crusaders against an evil regime. We cheer when they triumph, making us believe that victory and justice does exist. But then when they ascend to power, they become that which they have fought against and what's worse is that they opened a Pandora's Box where other ills of society fly out and wreak havoc on the land. Pretty soon another takes up the struggle only to fall to the same vicious web. I guess power really does corrupt.

I know I should never give up hope and that will be salvation in the end. The questions is when will it come and who will usher it. Everytime a hero comes along, he or she either gets killed or becomes a villain. I guess Jorge Orwell's Animal Farm had some truth after all. In a vicious cycle like this, heroes are a dime a dozen they're the types we definitely don't need.

No comments: