Saturday, March 21, 2009

Red-Light Girl: Roxanne By The Police



These a lot of women are now sharing equal footing with men in various fields. Women are becoming more confident and independent than there were years ago. Still, there are some women who are not so fortunate. Some of them end in deplorable situations which can cost them their lives. A lot of them even wind-up working in the "red-light" professions which is really bad because they have no choice. Whenever I read, hear or see women who wind up on this path, I remember the song "Roxanne" by The Police.

This was one of my favorite 80's band during highschool and once again I thank "Chris The Bliss" because his copy of this band's album enabled us to record it. It makes me think of the girls on "the street" who go through such lengths to get through the day. The worst part about it is that they are constantly in danger from abuse, disease and even death from their clients or their shady employers. The hard about it is once they're in, it's difficult, though possible to get out. It kinda makes me feel sad that some women and even some girls are thrusted to such a cruel fate and I hope someday things change regarding this.

Whether it's the original song or play live, this is one of the few songs that sounds good no matter how it's played. I use to remember we would sing a long to it when we gathered around good night of partying and drinking. It's only recently that I realize how sad this song is especially when it's play live where it's done in acoustic version. Maybe one day no woman need not wallk the streets for money and find better choices in life out there. Going down that road is really a bad way to live for anybody for that matter and I hope no else goes down that way.

No comments: