Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Love Rock And Roll: I Love Rock And Roll By Joan Jett



I must really be mellowing because since listening to 24K, I've learn to appreciate songs that I never listened to during my youth. Back then, I was a black and white type of guy who believe everything had its place and you don't mix two opposites together. When I was younger, all I'd listen to was rock music of different kinds. Folk, blues, a little jazz, but definitely rock was the sound of the times. One song that pretty much summed my musical preference back then was Joan Jett's song "I Love Rock And Roll".

At a time when I lot of tunes were about cheezy ballads and teeny bop songs, this was a welcome relief. It's like there's only diet food when your gut is hungering for meat and this song was the meat. I also like the video of the song because it showed that underground attitude of rock fans who lived in their own world like some secret society where everyone was your bro or your sis. That was the same feeling that I got when I hanged out at Club Dredd where the one thing everyone had in common was they like rock music. When it comes to liking rock, this song says it all.

These days, I've mellowed down a bit and as I have blogged before, I've grown to appreciate some songs that I never listened to back then. Still, apart of me still misses those rebel/outlaw days when me and those like me went against the flow. Shunning the usual activities for a few brews and smokes in a small circle of friends who were at odds with the establishment listen to rocking tunes with substance. What was more important is I was not afraid to be honest about what I am and what my preference were and I was darn proud of it. To this day, even if I have accepted somethings, I'm still a rocker at heart because simply put: I love rock and roll.

No comments: