Monday, February 15, 2010

Why I Don't Want To Get Into Trouble Anymore: Criminal By Fiona Apple




I remember a scene from the movie "The Blues Brothers" where they visit the Penguin after Jake got out of the slammer. The visit goes wrong as the nun starts to literally beat them both and tells them to leave and not to come back until they redeem themselves. Apart from being a very funny scene, the reason why it stuck to my head is because when you do something wrong, you're to be marked for it. And until you make it right, people will look at you would never look at you the same way again and you'll find yourself alone in a prison of your own making. The stigma that comes with the mistakes that you've made reminds me of the song "Criminal" by Fiona Apple.

As I've blogged countless times, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, all of which I really regret. They all seemed to happen at times when things were at their worst. I've also mentioned that with those mistakes came the puritanical sermons from everyone around but I had to take it in because it was my fault and in this house, you take your medicine whether you like or not. To make up for it, I had to fix what went wrong while I still could and fortunately,.I did. Still, the scars left by those mistakes were pretty deep and people, though they forgive, never forget.

The hard part about making mistakes where I come from is that they always remind you of it, especially when things are tough. That's the reason why I don't want to get myself in trouble anymore. It is so hard to find redemption and worse, there's always a reminder of that mistake that you can never erase and just have to learn to live with. If there's anything that I can advise others is simply to stay out of trouble. It's just not worth it.

No comments: