Friday, February 26, 2010

Having Power Is One Thing, Using It Wisely Is Another: People Have The Power By Patti Smith




Because we didn't get the day off yesterday, I forgot that it was the Anniversary of People Power. Back then, I really thought that great changes were going to be made and I was ready to grab a gun and fight out on the streets if they would let me. Unfortunately greedy, ambitious politicians hijacked the gains we made in Edsa and that's the reason why things are so screwed up right now. We had the ball and fumbled it. Still the song "People Have The Power" by Patti Smith reminds me of that one moment we had the power.

As I've written in my "Millennium Blues" article and my last year's entry, what was supposed to be a movement by the people was hijacked by a lot of opportunistic clowns both during People Power and its aftermath. It wasn't enough that we gathered on the streets and ousted the dictator. We should have made sure that what we gained would have benefited the people first but because we didn't different factions started to appear whose greed is driving this country and its people to the ground. These days, I shake my head in resignation at what was lost and the consequences that it had for us all. What hurt the most is that everyone was duped in the process.

With the 2010 elections now coming near, it's up to the next generation to carry on. They can rally the people to action just like back in 1986. This time around, please THINK carefully before your passion gets the better of you. A lot of people will play on your anger and desperation but look carefully before it's too late. People have the power but they have to use it wisely to effect real change to come about. If not, it's the same old ride all over again.

No comments: