Friday, May 22, 2009

What's Important Is That It Sounds Good: Once Bitten Twice Shy By Great White




You know alot of people often criticized the 80's as being too shallow. Big hair, spandex, parachute pants, topsiders, pennyloafers as well as thinking of nothing but parties and gimicks without a care in the world. Others say that we were too materialistic and this came when technology was making big leaps with the walkman, PCs, cellphones were all the fad. Well, what I can say about that is what do you expect? After all the political, cultural and social upheavals brought about by the 60s and 70s, all people wanted was a good time. One I like listening to when there was a good thing going was Great White's song "Once Bitten, Twice Shy".

I know compared to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, this song rather mild. Still, it was one of my favorites because it sounded and more importantly, I felt good listening to it. A lot of For some reason, it helps take the stress away better than any medication. Takes me back to people I met college where long hair, leathers, tattered jeans, demonic jewelry and cowboy boots ruled and music from band like these ruled. You can bet everyone had a ball when this song started playing at parties and when I was with those guys, I felt like I was with "my people" and I wish a I could party all night long.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the music of the 90's because it was deep and had a lot of deep emotion rather than theatrics. However, it wasn't fun. There was just too much angst as if everyone wanted to explode rather than enjoy the song. I guess that kid in tne Charlie And Chocolate Factory about enjoying candy and not think about. It's the same with rock songs like these: all that is that it sounds good.

No comments: