Saturday, May 23, 2009

Embodiment Of The Eighties: Miami Vice OST By Jan Hammer




Yesterday, I blogged about how fun life was in the 80s where a lot neat things happened during my life. A few weeks ago, I registered my blog at blogged.com in the hopes of increasing traffic on my site. Another why I registered is to find other sites with similar themes to mine. One site that caught my eye was a site called Stuck In The 8os and as I went over the sight, I felt like a teenager again as I scanned the articles where the movies, music, fashion and style came from my generation. I remember one show that totally embodied the 80's was Miami Vice and its soundtrack by Jan Hammer was a hit among my peers.

Back then, all my friends wanted to either Sonny Crockett or Rico Tubbs (personally, I preferred Castillo because the man of mystery in the cast who often stole the spotlight). Whenever this soundtrack played, we gathered to watch the show without fail because it had everything from celebrity guess,fast lifestyles, cool fashion( I remember most of my batch wearing ther crockett look at my prom)and the MTV music. The music itself embodied eighties' tech with it's use of keyboards and computers and that time it was state of the art. Forget the fact that real cops in Miami didn't look anything like Don Johnson or Phillip Micheal Thomas because all that matters was that this was a cool series. It totally embodied the 80s and would-be imitators never came close to it.

Recently, a film based on the show was made starring Collin Farell and Jaime Foxx, but in my opinion, it didn't came close to the original. At best all it had was the attitude. Sometimes, I can't believe that the show and its soundtrack are now ancient history. Still, it was one of my favorite tv shows. These days, I don't watch tv anymore because none of todays shows appeal to me. Even if they are grittier and more vivid, they don't any morales anymore and you find rooting for the bad guys because lead characters have bad attitudes. They can't measure up to the coolness of this series and its soundtrack and they never will.

No comments: