Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reflecting On The Past And What's Left: These Are The Times To Remember By Billy Joel



Well tomorrow will be New Year's Eve and once again, everyone will be gearing up for the celebration with drinks, food, firecrackers and anything to stir up the excitement as well as the imagination. These days whenever the last round of the holidays come about, my feelings of melancholy grow even more as I look back at the past and try to build with what's left at present. These last eight years have been one crazy emotional rollercoaster ride with everyone getting their world rocked. When I think about all that's happened and what failed to transpire, the only consolation that one can get is the hope that the new year brings. Until then, I might just sit back and take a long at all that's happened around me to the tune of the song "These Are The Times To Remember" by Billy Joel.

The first time I heard this song was on an NBA music video which featured the legends of basketball from past to present. When I hear it, I think about things that was lost that no one talks about yet affects us all as well as unresolved issues that continue to haunt us up to now and all the other social and economic developments whose impact really hit all of us really hard. I also think about dreams that never came true and opportunities that were lost. I try not to be bitter about it but sometimes I get a stabbing pain when the thought enters my mind. Growing older but not smarter as the new year approaches really makes you sit down and think about all that come and gone as well as what to do about it.

Like I said in the first paragragh, these last few years have been hell on me. I really hope that next year, things will be much better. Although I'm not one to be an ingrate, I guest I'm really disappointed in what happened this year. I really tried hard to find ways to make things better but alas, it didn't do well. Once again, I hope things change for the better and I'll try harder to make that happen.

No comments: