Friday, December 12, 2008

Thinking Of Others On Christmas: All Alone On Christmas By Darlene Love



As Christmas fasts, approaches, people are already gearing up for the big day where we celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. Of course, for the kids, it's the time were they wait patiently for the clock to strike midnight to tear open their presents while for the adults, it's the time for families to gather and renew old aquaintances and share few drinks (sometimes too much). With all the hustle and bustle to ensure a good celebration, we should never those who might be able to celebrate: Those who have to work; who have no money and worst no family. Not everybody will be happy on this most important day of the year and that thought not only sobers me, but also saddens me. I know I'm being a bit naive about feeling this but I can't help it because no one deserves to be miserable on that day and whenever I listen to Darlene Love's "All Alone On Christmas", I always get that melancholic feeling regarding the holidays.

I remember in my first job, I almost spent my holidays guarding an abandoned building so some fat cat can call meeting when he feels like it. I'll never forget that melancholic feeling mixed with a little dread about being alone while that jerk is gourging himself on a Christmas night. I'm glad they decided to drop the idea because that's not my idea of a happy holiday. Whenever I see people who have to work on the holidays or worst are victims of a cruel twist of fate, my heart goes out for them. Call me childish, but I wish everyone was celebrating and happy on this time of the year. Christmas means nothing if the all the people you care about aren't there.

As we celebrate the holidays, let us think of those who won't be there on Christmas Day: Doctors and nurses on duty; Police and army personel on call; call center employees; hotel workers who are out there to serve instead of being with their families. Let also think about those who are no longer there and remember the good times we've spent with them. I do so hope that all wishes be fulfilled and that everyone spread the holiday cheers. Merry Christmas to all.

All Alone On Christmas - Darlene Love (Pepe El Father Dj)

No comments: