Friday, April 6, 2012

We Always Demand Proof: King Herod From Jesus Christ Superstar




It's Good Friday and though I think I should've posted this yesterday, I guess I will post it today. Anyway we all know the story when Christ was presented to King Herod and how he demanded Christ to prove himself to be the Messiah. When Jesus refused, he was sent back to suffer more agonizing tortures leading to his death on the cross. When I think about that sad chapter in the last hours of Christ, we are no better cause these days we always demand proof to believe. When I think I about that, it reminds me of the scene in "Jesus Christ Superstar".

I remember when Jesus said to Thomas "Blessed Are Those Who Do Not See And Believe". One thing that Thomas and Herod had in common was that only if they see with their own eyes will they believe. Sometimes I think more and more of us are like them. Yet there's a big difference between the many miracles that Jesus made and plain parlor tricks just as there is a difference between faith and fad. The miracles were meant to show God's grace and his love for his people while parlor tricks are just for entertainment and personal gain.

Sadly, these days there are more doubters as society becomes more secularized and spirituality is now equated with superstition. There is a difference and that in true faith, you can believe and know its true even without seeing. I don't claim to be virtuous let alone holy, but I know deep in my heart it is true. Still, even if you see with your own eyes, it doesn't it is true. Your heart and your will tell you that it is.

No comments: