Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why Gross Point Blank Is One Of My Favorite Movie: Mirror In Bathroom By English Beat




One of my favorite movies back in the 1990's was "Gross Point Blank". It tells the story of an assassin who travels back to his home town to attend his class reunion and get re-acquainted with old friends. Nobody knew about his true profession until rival assassins and government agents swarm in to kill him. Apart from the good action scenes, there were a lot of songs in the movie's soundtrack that came from my generation. One soundtrack from the movie was played during a fight sequence which is my favorite scene called "Mirror In The Bathroom" by English Beat.


The reason why this was one of my favorite movies was because of the lead character Martin Blank who, instead of attending Prom Night, opted to bolt out and join the Army where he later became C.I.A. hitman. I'm not praising him for being a killer, rather I liked his character because he decided to follow what he felt at the time and didn't look back. How many of us had the courage to really go for it rather than stay in a place that suffocates us and live a life that we hate. Even if he did tire of that kind of life, at least he was able to do what he wanted to do while he still had in him which is something few people achieve.

By writing this, you can say that I've had a lot of unfulfilled dreams and hopes which left me frustrated. I know it's no use to cry over spilled milk but there are times when I dwell on the things that could've, especially now that things are tough all over. Like him, there are times when I just want to bolt out to a place where I can feel I can live my life the way I want to rather than get stuck in place where I don't want to be. It's frustrating when you always find yourself in places you don't want to be. Hopefully one day, things will go the way I want to without the need to resort to such extreme measures to find fulfillment.

No comments: