Tuesday, June 15, 2010

To All Those Wild Rebels Back Then: I Was Only Joking By Rod Stewart




It never fails that in every batch at every school year there would be a kid or some kids who would always rebel against the system. As they wage their guerilla antics on teachers and the school in general, they gain a reputation for being the cool kids who who the other students would follow or want to emulate. Yet despite all their antics, they eventually realize that living that way has its limits and in time, they eventually settle down . I guess it's a sign that they are now growing up and their antics were just a phase in their lives. When I think about those rebels who always caused a commotion during their younger days, the song " I Was Only Joking" by Rod Stuwart comes to mind.

As a student and as a teacher, I came across a lot of guys who were wild and always like to pull some kind of stunt in school. When I was a teacher, it drove my blood pressure to the roof as each day was constant battle to control the classroom. I don't if I've made some headway but some of these guys mellowed down and we went from banging heads to sharing a laugh. I still bump into some of them once and a while and others have kept in touch with me. As for me, I am just glad that despite all the commotion that I experienced with them, they turned out okay in the end.

I guess we all go through that period where our hormones get the better of us. It's just a matter of time when we realize that things eventually change. Sometimes I look back at those times and despite all the headaches, I still liked those times. It's good to see that they grew up and made something of their lives. I guess in the end, they were just joking.

No comments: