Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Good Song For Independence Day: Spirit Of '76 By The Alarm



Well today my country celebrates Independence Day. As I headed home from my seminar, I can already see people on the streets getting ready for the event. Everywhere I turn, I see people either buying flags or signing pledges about their patriotism. Still, the questions for me are what real patriotism and has anything changed. Anyway, before I answer that question, when it comes to stirring the patriotic spirit in me, the song "Spirit Of '76" by the Alarm for some reason fits the bill.

Although this song is more remembering the good times with friends, the homegrown beat of this song really stirs something in me. I get the imagination that some patriot is calling to everyone that it's time to rise up. I guess that's the reason why I get fired up whenever I hear this song play. Remembering great things in the past and valuing the sacrifices made sure on Independence Day gets better with this song.

With this day upon us, I wonder if anything's change over the years since we've become independent. With the conclusion of the 2010 elections, the administration has changed but the politics remains to be seen. Will the new leaders make the change or go down the same road like all the rest? I guess only time will tell. I just hope that new change comes so that we can really appreciate our independence.

No comments: