Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Advice To Sons Who Still Have Their Fathers: The Living Years By Mike And The Mechanics




Today is Father's Day and at this time, it is the children who will be the ones to treat their dads on this special day. It could either be a day at the mall or an outing at the beach to spend some time with family and to strengthen bonds within the family. For me, however, it will be a bittersweet day because he is no longer with us and the thought of that day has me filled with sadness rather than joy. I still can't believe that he's gone and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. When I hear the song "The Living Years", I think that kids who still have their dads should never take them for granted.

My family is now included among those who lost have their father and when I see kids with their dads, it makes me miss him even more. My father was was not an easy man to get along with for he had a terrible temper and when you made a mistake with him, the consequences were severe. Still, he was a man of integrity who taught me the value of discipline as well finishing what it is that you have started. The later years of his life were the happiest that I have ever seen as he mellowed and joked more often and the change in him had everyone surprised. All the more reason why his sudden passing was a sad shock for all of us because he died just everything was going well for him.

My advise for those who still have their fathers with them (especially those who argue with their father) is to take time to know them just as they have taken the time to look after you. Don't pour gasoline to the fire when he's angry, rather find out what's wrong and help him out. If you have something you want that runs contrary to what he plans for you, stand your ground but do so with respect. If he asks for your help, help him for the fact that he is asking you means that he trusts that you can do it. Most important of all, accept him for all his faults and virtues because you cannot love someone unless you accept both the good and bad aspects of the man.

I'm putting an extra paragraph to this entry because it is not enough to express in words how me and my family miss him. If he was still alive, I bet we're all be at the house with the table filled with food and laughter filled air as my father would either crack a joke or give his view on a certain topic. That is something that I will definitely miss now that he's no longer with us every time Father's Day rolls along. For those who still have their fathers with them, cherish every moment you spend with them. Never take them for granted for one day, they too will leave this earth so say whatever it is you want to tell them, do it while you still can.

No comments: