Thursday, June 3, 2010

There Are More Important Things To Use The Phone For: Mr. Telephone Man By New Edition



Though I am a die-hard fan of 24K Weekend, I have to admit there are some songs that I don't enjoy listening to. Apart from being shallow, it isn't really my type of music. Still, it is part of the classics (if you can call it that) and eventually, it should be part of this blog. Back then, the only way you can communicate with people was through the old fashioned telephone. Unfortunately, since it was the only medium of communication which allowed you to talk directly to the people, it wasn't surprising that everybody competed for certain period of time to talk on the phone. When I think about how to properly use the phone and trivial complaints that kids have when they demand to use it, I remember the song "Mr. Telephone Man" by New Edition.

I use to remember how my friends would always be hooked on the phone the moment they arrive from school. They'd stay online for as long as they can until parents would demand they put the phone down because they're expecting an important phone call. Sometimes, they'd go to a friend's house or even stay on a public phone so long as they got enough change for it. The hard part about staying on the phone all day long is that they encroach on other people's time which may be more important and worse run up a large phone bill which they are not going to pay for. That's why why even back then, when I hear teenagers complain, I find that they are making a mountain out of a mole hill because there are more important things to use the phone for.

These days, teens can communicate through different ways other than the phone. With cheap cellphones now available, kids can now communicate with their friends. Some can now communicate via the internet either through chatting or directly with the use of a camera. Still, there are times when kids still use the old fashion phone from dusk till dawn. I guess kids still don't realize that there are more important things to use the phone for.

No comments: