Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bootleg MTV/Progressive Rock: Moving On By Triumph



I remember my first taste of music videos from MTV when my brother's classmate came from the States and brought with him a collection of rock videos on a beta tape 26 years ago. The first time we watched it, we oohed and ahhed at all the great bands whose videos were on that tape. Most of the bands were already moving towards tight pants, spandex and synthesized music. One particular band that our attention was three-piece band who played it really old school rock. Nothing fancy; just alot of mean guitar play as well good great vocals. That band was Triumph and the song was "Moving On".

I liked this band the first time I saw them. With just the basics, they really rocked the stage. Apart from the heavy music, I really like the positive message of the song about always moving or being active. It makes you feel like you shouldn't be passive but keep doing something productive to make something good not only for yourself but also for others. I like the part about keep on moving until we're gone because for me it means that while you're alive, keep yourself busy and if things don't work out, then there's always tomorrow. Now that's music that drives you.

I really miss this band and I wish that there'd be more songs like this. Like I blogged yesterday, I've given up on today's music. I tried but I just can't relate to it anymore. I don't if today's so-called rock stars singing, crying, or choking on a bone. Not to mention the fact that they keep singing about crying over spilled milk as well as blaming everybody except themselves. If that makes me an old geezer, so be it; atleast my music had a lot more quality than the ones being aired today both in substance and in message.

No comments: