Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Another Song About Good Times Gone Bad: Allentown By Billy Joel



Yesterday I was watching CNN's financial which featured how the economic crisis was affecting business and job security in America. It featured one car manufacturing employee who lost her job which was one of the effects of the financial meltdown. The worst part about it was that she was just a few years short of retiring. Yesterday, a father came to my office to ask for the Livelihood Office's telephone number because he wanted to see if there was a way for them to him find the job for his son. It really reminds me just how tough times are and how very little opportunities are out there. Man when I think about all these tough times, it reminds of Billy Joel's song "Allentown".

If I remember right, this song tells about a once booming coal town where there was work for everyone and life was good. As time past, however, the good times started to fade and more and more layoffs began. When there was no more coal or steel ore to mine, the town when just went down. With the way the economic crisis is hitting everyone lately, that might be a reality. I just hope that something can be done because a lot of hard-working people are hit hard by this development.

One lesson that has been embeded in my brain from all this financial mayhem is to be thankful for what you have and don't take it for granted. I've made two terrible career decisions before which really scarred me emotionally that I'm trying to get things together. I know I'm being a bit too cautious but I don't want to find myself down in the dumps. Be that as it may, I hope things get better not only for me and my family, but everyone else as well. Life is hard enough as it is and we don't need it to be any harder.

No comments: