Thursday, October 2, 2008

Just A Small Town Boy: Small Town By John Mellencamp


When we were young, we all enrolled in Coleigio San Agustin which was located in Dasmarinas Village in Makati which a then new school were a lot of rich kids studied. Unlike my brother, my initial experience in that's school wasn't very good. I just couldn't fit in with these kids and the environment was very harsh that I dropped out. After that, I wound up in a very small school called Saint Cyr Academy which was the complete opposite of CSA. Yet, it was good enough for me and I finished my elementary period there before going back to CSA to study highschool. Whenever I think about the time I spent in that makes me want to listen to John Mellencamp's "Small Town".

The reason for this is because although that school was primitive compared to CSA, nevertheless,it was in that small "hick" school that I started to come out of my shell. The people there were simple yet warm and had none of that arrogant snobish air that CSA students had. Sure many of them were from the "bakya" crowd but I had a fun and made a lot of friends there than I did in CSA. We all knew each other and though there wasn't much to do, I enjoyed my stay there. I also remember my brothers' annoying remarks as they tried to make go back to CSA, which at the time was repulsive thought to me because no matter how sophisticated and up-to-date they were, I still prefer the company of the small town folks.

Eventually I went back to CSA for my highschool studies and by some good luck, I was able to make friends with a lot good people who weren't in fad thing. A lot of years have passed after highschool came college and then the the real world where I still have a lot of things to sort out. Despite that, these days, I remember those times in St. Cyr Academy by John Mellencamp - Small Towecause that place not only shaped me, but also help me come out of my shell. It was my "small town retreat" from the "Big City". More than that, lately I'm begining to appreciate my time there even more because for the first time, I was with my people and though simple as they were, they were still good people nevertheless. I guess nowadays, I consider myself a small town hick and proud of it.


No comments: