Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Living In An Unsafe Neighborhood: Suburbia By The Pet Shop Boys


Once again I might here it from my brothers once I posted this because this is one of those songs that they never expected me to put in my blog. Anyway, I got the idea for this blog from watching those hood films as well as checking out some of the places that people live where security is at the bottom of the list. As much as it all that some people can afford, I bet they wish they were living in some place where you don't have to look over your shoulder or install multiple locks and alarm systems to safeguard your house. In extreme cases, they have not one, but two or even three fire arms as well as those big jawed dogs that would tear your off limb if you went near them. These are the concepts that come into mind when I hear the song "Suburbia" by The Pet Shop Boys.

No offense meant, I recall I time when I was walking around a really mean neighborhood where everybody gave strangers a mean look and that includes policemen because I was from that place. When they gave me that look, I thought they should worry more about their neighbors than me because there's no telling what they're capable of once they get the urge. One example that came to mind was when I was driving home along the road where there a lot of informal settlers were living and they were crowded around a guy lying on a pavement and by the looks of it he either beaten unconcious or dead. Another time I went to the meat shop and the guy on a bike behind was surround by cops and led away to a van. I guess it's another reminder of how times can be so unsafe and careful.

Another effect of living in such a place is that you have to make sure that your house and what you value is secure from those who would want to break in. I guess when you're thrown into that kind of environment, you do what you can to get by and keep yourself safe. I guess you have impose your own curfew and go straight in and lock the door. I guess I should count myself lucky that I don't live in such a place. I don't think I would have the nerve.

No comments: