Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On The Run/What Happens When You Let Rage Control You: Look Away By Big Country


I remember on the movie "Sleepers", Robert De Niro told one of the characters who pulled a prank gone wrong that if you ran away from this, you'll be running forever. Others say "you can run but you can't hide", which for me is very true because even if you elude your pursuers, you'll never have a moments peace. Sometimes when you think you're safe, you're pursuers are just around the corner and you find yourself on the run again. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you've done a great wrong, running away won't help you much and even if you do get away, you won't have any peace of mind. I guess this is what I think of when I hear Big Country's song "Look Away".

Like I said in my previous entry on the Damn Yankees, crime don't pay but in this song's case, I'll make an exception. In this instance, the guy accidentally killed someone and now finds himself on the run. He tried running as far as he can but eventually the law caught up with him and the sentence was swift. Did he get a fair trial or not was never explained though I guess it was implied that he didn't. As much as he didn't mean, he did kill a man and that alone warrants some kind of sentencing and in those days, you kill someone then you deserve to killed too.

I guess this is the reason I try to keep my nose clean. I don't think I take that kind of pressure, running day in and day out without ever knowing if I'll find peace in the end. I also try to be careful not to let my emotions get the better of me because there could dire consequences for a wrong action one commits. Life is hard enough as it is. One mistake can cost your life to fall apart and everytime I hear this song, I keep that lesson in mind.

No comments: