Thursday, October 30, 2008

To The Wandering Spirits: Cathedral By Crosby, Stills And Nash



At the last day of October and on the first two days of November draws near, it's that time of the year of back-to-back observance: Halloween on the 31st of October followed by All Saint's Day on Nov. 1st and All Soul's Day on Nov. 2nd. You go from getting candy from your neighbors to visiting relatives who have passed away which makes for a busy three days. For me, when this time of the year comes about, I guess you can say that the spirits are roaming around from place to place. For the fortunate ones, they need not do this because they are already at peace while others still have unanswered questions as well as unfinish business which is why they still stay in this plane of existence. It's kind of creepy, but this is what I think especially when I listen to the song "Cathedral" by Crosby, Stills and Nash.

From the first note, you can tell that this song has an eerie element to it. I think it's about a spirit who goes from place to place seeking something. Based on some of the lyrics, I think that as he is searching for something, he doesn't realize that he is dead until he sees his own tombstone. In the end, he realizes that he can't stay on this plane too long and eventually comes to accept his situation. Despite the haunting nature of this song, it is one of my favorite CSN songs.

I guess when I get home tomorrow, I'll be helping with the candy and then the following day, I have to wake up early to visit our dearly departed relatives and pay my respects to them. As I brace myself for this yearly ritual,I always think about those whom I loved who are no longer here and remember the times that we had, especially the fun and crazy times which makes us miss them even more. They spent some time with us then. I guess now we should atleast spend some time with them on these days in return for the good times we share and to assure them that we still hold them dear in our minds and our hearts.

No comments: