Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Surviving A Wild Night: Catch My Fall By Billy Idol


When, I hear the name Billy Idol, the first thing that comes to mind was bleach-blonde hair, leathers and lips that can rival that of Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler. To my classmates, he was a god and the songs "White Wedding", "Rebel Yell" and "Eyes Without A Face" would blare out of those large boom boxes that teen-agers carry on their shoulders(thank goodness for mp players and i-pods). Even Filipino metal bands like the Frictions played their songs whenever they preformed on stage. Though I was one of the few who didn't listen to him, there was one song as well as the video that grew on me and that's "Catch My Fall".

My interpretation of the song is about a guy who's just too much too soon and the video shows just that. It's starts off with Billy coming out of the closet all tied-up, then waking up slowly in his bed at the same time, probably from partying, drinking, etc. The weird part of the video is when he and his band are all in camouflaged make-up and he's a speargun like he's one of those Mad Max villians. The video ends with him eating something from a can with a knife sing the signature. I don't why, but when I first heard the song and saw the video, I liked it and have occassionally requested on 24k.

I guess the reason why I can speak freely about this song is because I'm at that age where I really can listen to what I want without peer pressure. The title of the song already caught my attention because sometimes we all wish for someone to catch us when we fall and from what he was singing, nobody caught him as he fell. When see the video, I remember the times when I wake up after a wild night of drinking. I often wonder what dumb stunts I made the night before. Still, it's one of my favorites and it's one of the songs that 24k DJs have difficulty finding, let alone play on air. The critique I have about this song is that for a guy who takes a shower, he doesn't bathe very well because he leaves his leather glove on and that could give him a rash.

No comments: