Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Down and Out Song: Ball and Chain by Social Distortion


One of the great things about 24k is not only do they feature rare hits that few people remember, but also songs that reflect different moods that a person might feel during the day. If there was a day where a person can go several different moods at once, it would probably be on a friday. There are songs that fit every mood that I'm in whenever I listen to this program. When the day goes sour for me and it falls on a Friday, I would request the DJ a song from social distortion titled Ball and Chain. It's one of my down and out songs.

The song chronicles the life of a hard-luck individual who according to him got his nose, car and his heart broken and wound up in cheap motel after a heavy drinking spree. No matter how hard he tries to get his life in order, things just don't go well, making him feel that no matter how hard he tries, he, according to his own words is born to loose and destined to fail. I admit many times like the character in this song, I've had my far share of bad experiences and when the video of this song was was posted on youtube, there was a tremendous response to this song where good number of people said that they too appreciated the song because of their own experience of hardships.

When I listen to this song, it's usually at the end of a hard and trying day. At times like this, I trudge my way back home and colapse on the bed and then I turn this song on the cd player and put on my earphones. As I listen, I try to reflect on what went wrong and let wash my blues and frustrations away. When the day is over, I look out the window and let the night cool whispering they'll be another day and another chance and I feel rexation setting in. In the end, tough times happen but tough people weather them out and when the worst is over, new hope begins.

No comments: