Thursday, April 17, 2008

Finding Comfort Among Friends: Handle Me With Care By The Traveling Wilburys


A while back I was reading the Philippine Daily Inquirer's Entertainment section when I chanced upon an article that took me back in time. It was the release of the DVD copy of the short-lived band, The Traveling Wiburys Vol. I & II. Man, it's been so long since I heard of this group composed of rock music legends, Jorge Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Jeff Lyn and Roy Orbison. Reading the article bought back a lot of good times I had with my friends and brothers on a weekend and we frequently played both sides of Vol I. I will be writing a lot about the songs performed by this band and the first song that I want to write about is the first cut of Volume I called "Handle Me With Care".


Man, the first time I listened to this song, it blew me away, especially when I saw the video which featured the band members entering a room and starting playing this song. The song tells of the many hardmaches of a certain person who still wants to find some to care about. Despite the many bad experiences in the person's life, he still thinks that he has some love to give and that he is tired of being lonely. Even though he's made a lot of mistakes, he still willing to clean up his mess and persevere. In the end, he is searching for a love that won't be too hard on him since he's been through a lot already.


Back then, whenever I had a bad day, I always played this song and after a while I start feeling better. It's one of those songs that describes in a subtle way, a person's determination to move forward with his life even when thing didn't go well. This song goes also perfectly with a beer and your buddies laughing at a weeknight. We would all sing along as the stereo played this song and the smiles would break out, banishing all the hardships and bad luck during the day. We really felt that we were handled with care.


No comments: