Saturday, April 26, 2008

Best Barkada Song: Waiting On A Friend By The Rolling Stones




When I was in the sixth grade, it was my baptism to alcohol and other things kids were not suppose to indulge in. After my first swig of beer, I was hooked and every weekend my brothers and I would always have case of beer or some long-neck bottles of rum and coke ready as some of our friends would just drop in and hang out and even pass out at our old house along the service road. It was practically a weekend ritual and if we didn't party at home, we'd probably hang out at a friend's place till the dawn broke. Apart from the good booze and good friends all around, there was also good music that we played at full blast ranging from folk to metal to 60's and 70's rock. One song that stands when I party with my friends and brothers is the song of the Rolling Stone's Waiting On A Friend From the album Tattoo You.

For me, it was the ultimate barkada song because it was about hanging out with the ones who you trust the most: your best friends and your brothers. Just like Don Henley's Sunset Grill, this song is best enjoyed with friends and brothers when the sun sets and the alcohol kicks with this song playing in the background. Even better is when everyone starts laughing, gulping down huge amounts of booze and making fun of those who have puked or passed out during the height of the party. It was a cool song were one felt warm company of those who he can rely on and all of you sing along as the plays out. When this song is being played, you feel that your in good hands and every is all cool cause your with good people having a good time. Who can ask for anything more?

Sadly, today things are different now then they were then. You think about what to finish at work as well make that everything okay with home and family. Friends and brothers are bogged with their own responsibilities making gatherings like those I've mentioned very rare indeed. Nevertheless when the opportunity presents itself and we gather, I feel the old days back again and I'm a teenager again. In the end it's all about being with the best of best people and I cannot ask for anything more. Because the best things that I the most is spending with friends and family and waiting on a friend is well the wait, especially when we raise our glasses and party starts rolling.

No comments: