Saturday, April 26, 2008

That Sense Of Paranoia: Overkill by Men At Work


I remember when I was a kid, one advice that one of my senseis' advised me was enjoy your youth and live life to the fullest while you can. Once you grow old, you can never get it back. By the time you reach your 30's, that's when opportunities become scarce and responsibilities start to set in. When you hit the BIG 40, that's it, you should have the basics of your life in order and establish yourself in society. Well right now, I'm 40 and have very little to show in terms of being stable and to top things off, every day and every night, I worry about how things will play out just like that song Overkill from the band Men-At-Work from their album Cargo.

The songs starts off with the singer having problems sleeping due certain worries that just keep bothering him. No matter how he tries, he's so stressed out and tries roaming the town with the bright lights of the city giving some kind of comfort the darkness of the night. Finally in exasperation, he cries out in the camera, goes down to the cellar and drinks a beer and watches as the dawn break from the window of his home. A feeling of frustration still gnawing at his gut with nothing resolved and now he has to go back to the grind of everyday life. Anyone who's experienced this feeling day and night would certainly appeal to this song's message.

Even though I don't show it, I feel like this every day. That stressful feeling of trying to get through the day, hoping to make ends meet coupled with that dreaded touch of uncertainty of what future holds will really keep a person awake all night. Despite this sense of futility, I know deep inside that I cannot give up. I know I wasted a lot of time and opportunities which brought me to the situation that I'm in, but be that as it may there's always hope that this sense of stress will be lifted off my chest. When that day comes and I know it will, I'll bask in the warm rays of the sun knowing that the worst is past and everything is all right with the world.

No comments: