Monday, April 21, 2008

Odd Man Out: Nowhere Man By The Beatles


I remember the first time I saw the Beatles' psychadelic cartoon, "Yellow Submarine" when I was in the 1st grade. It was a different cartoon and the images were unlike any that I would see in regular animation which kids during that time would watch. If you were to read between the lines, many of the lyrics in this soundtrack dealt a lot about drugs such as "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" which later was associated with LSD. One song in particular caught my attention and that song best describes me well because I spend most of my time by myself. That song is called "Nowhere Man".

The scene where they played this song was really cool when they meet a strange being and they don't what to make of him. As the song starts to play, the Fab Four start walking and singing while strange being who they call Nowhere Man hops and jumps in the scene. The weird part of that scene is when shrubs and flowers start growing behind the band as they walk forward and as the song ends and they walk backwards, the plants and flowers disappear to the ground. Both the scene and the song was what I liked best about that cartoon. When I heard this song for the first time, I thought they were talking about me because it literally describes a lot about my character as well as some of my experiences. I'm not saying that I was a recluse or that my life was dull; it's 'just that there were some things that I wish I was able to do or be with some someone I like.

Other times, I missed out on a lot of things and when I look back I wish I could do it over to fill some emotional voids inside me which leaves me with a deep longing. Every time I look back, I realize that there were so many things that I missed out on that could have made me complete. A lot of times I worry about the present and more about the future, wondering if my plans (many of which have gone up in smoke) will come true. I just take comfort in the fact that there are still things that I can do and now I must do all that I can to make them a reality.

No comments: