Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bisping Got Robbed: Song Number Two By Blur




Last Sunday I was watching the UFC on Fox. Though the main card featured Rashad Evans against Phil Davis, the fight that I was most interested in was between Chael Sonnen and Micheal Bisping. This was because you have two very tough guys with contrasting styles but have the same brass attitude about to lock horns in the octagon. Sadly, the fight left a very bad taste in my mouth. For this entry, I think "Song Number Two" by Blur would be appropriate.
This was Bisping's entrance song and when the fight began Sonnen did his usual tackle technique but Bisping attacked him from the sides and also managed to to bring the fight to him. Even though Sonnen was able to take him down, Bisping got back up and started swinging at him. I was shocked when I heard that the judges ruled Sonnen the winner. Many believed that Bisping won the first two rounds and Sonnen dominated in third. I was never more disgusted at a such a decision since the Machida-Rua and Garcia-Phahn fight.

Some reasoned that the takedowns were the reason behind but even though I'm not a wrestler, those take downs were disappointing since Chael was so famous for them. If takes downs score big points then escaping from them also be given equal credit. They just wanted a rematch between Silva and Sonnen. They hung Bisping out to dry and I felt like watching pro-wrestling match. Decisions like this will hurt the UFC and I hope they do something about this.

No comments: