Sunday, January 29, 2012

Man That's Darn Good Cake: Pound Cake By Van Halen




Last week, my aunt and uncle came home from abroad for a little vacation. We greeted them and we talked about some good times and asked how they were doing. My mother's birthday was coming up and my uncle promised that he'd cook up some of his best recipes. Best of all he'd baked his signature dessert that was Sansrival which we all loved. When I remember that dessert, Van Halen's song "Pound Cake" starts playing in my head.

The first time we tasted that cake, we devoured it to the last bite. 40 years, later it still doesn't compare to anything bought in the stores. My brother would even drink the syrup from the tray till nothing was left. When they went abroad, I haven't come across a cake that matches his recipe. When he said he'd baked a batch, our mouths started to water and we couldn't wait.

True enough when the cake came in, nothing was left. That's because it was as delicious now just as it was in the past. It was perfect to the last drop and every time I took bite it was perfectly the same. I'm glad my brother and sister watched how it was made which means they do it. That is one darn fine cake.

No comments: