Sunday, November 8, 2009

To The Coolest Dude I Ever Knew: Dr. Wu By Steely Dan




Every school batch always has a cool dude in their class. This kind of person would come out of nowhere and really catch people's attention. He would probably be tough, ready to party, a guy people would go to, yet didn't swung his weight around the place. His mere presence commanded respect, yet he gave respect and hung around with anybody who was true to his or herself. When I remember one such person during my high school days, I play the song "Dr. Wu" by Steely Dan.

I remember when I first met him, he was different from the rest from the way he carried himself, yet he was not one to assert himself in a place, but rather was approachable and easily made friends with others. He was tough without being tough and was ready with case full of "goodies" making everyday a party(though a lot of my batchmates got kicked out because they lost their "head"). Yet he kept his head on his shoulders and when it came to academics, he could give honor students a run for their money. In short, he was a man of respect without demanding it, he could have easily caused a ruckus in the school but didn't and instead hung around with real people rather than those just want to be part of the "incrowd".

Yet despite the huge presence that he had in the school, he was always the "quiet man dwelling in the shadows" who only minded his own business. He would rather have brew and a "herb" with real buddies rather than go to those high class socials with the fancy people which really made him cool. When the last were over and it was time for graduation practice, he disappeared. When I got year book the only image you can find of him would be in the class picture because their was no write-up or graduation picture of him in the book. He fade out quietly as he came in.

I still think highly of him to this day. He was the quiet rebel who made a rep for himself without trying to do so. He meant to impress or assert himself but neverthelesss, he sure made an impression and everyone in my batch knew it. He was one of the few people that was able to do what he wanted and did it with style. Maybe he's changed over the years just like all of us, but I'll bet those core characteristics that gave him a name will always be with him. He'll always be my batch's "Dr. Wu".


No comments: