Monday, April 12, 2010

Time To Make Way For The New Generation: Change Of The Guard By Steely Dan




When I was young, I thought things would never change and a part of me wanted things to remain the way they were at the time. Time, however, would overule me and latter on as I got older, things indeed started to change. As kids started to grow, the old guard would start to make way for the new blood to take over. It's just a cycle of life to make way for the new generation. When I think about that natural process, the song "Change Of The Guard" by Steely Dan.

As I have blogged before, enjoy your time while you still can. Do what you can do and be all that you can be because before you know it, it will be gone and the next generation will moving in. You know your time is coming to pass when all the clothes that you were wearing is no longer in style; all the movie stars and singers and groups that ruled the airwaves suddenly disappear from the airwaves or now take jobs rarely appear on films or get supporting roles, when all your favorite hangouts suddenly close down; your gadgets are all obsolete and when the new elite is 10 or 15 yrs. younger than you. The worst part is when the department that your working for suddenly shuts down because it's functions are no longer necessary. It's hard to accept but when it's over, it's over.

I'm not saying that it's the end of the line, but you have to face the writing on the wall. Still that doesn't mean that you're all washed up. I know there's more to it, but you need to stock of the things that you can still do and build from that. As for the new generation, it's up to them now. I just hope they do better than we did. It will only be a matter of time before the cycle repeats itself again and then the guard will change anew.

No comments: