Thursday, April 1, 2010

That Feeling Of Dread When It's Time To Part: Jesus Christ Superstar's The Last Supper




Today is Maundy Thursday and for many of us Catholics and Christians it is a special day as we reflect on the suffering and death of Jesus Christ. Usually we remember His last words to his followers and the last meal that they shared before he would undergo all the agony of torture and crucifixion. I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard for them to partake of that meal knowing that it would be the last time they would see each other again. If I was there, I wouldn't have any appetite, especially if I knew what was to follow. That feeling of dread one feels when the end is near reminds of the Last Supper from the soundtrack of Jesus Christ Superstar.

I have to admit when I feel apprehensive about something, I won't feel okay until the storm has come to pass. With the recent passing of my father, this song and the movie scene is really starting to get to me. When I was rushing to the hospital, too many things were rushing to my head and my heart was pounding like a jackhammer. Knowing what I was about to face made every step much harder because this is the last time I would be able to talk to him. I was hoping against hope that he would beat the odds but alas, it was not meant to be.

He is at rest and now we have to carry on. I feel that there are a lot of things that need to be done and must prepare for it. My only regret is that I made to many mistakes and was not able to clean up my act before he left. Goodbye Dad I miss you so much already. I will be strong just as I promised.

No comments: