Sunday, June 28, 2009

You Won't Get The Best Of Me: A Civilized Man By Joe Cocker




One reason why I am rarely interested in watching television, let alone the movies is because most of the characters are often jerks who are emotionally impulsive and do reckless and annoying stunts which makes me root for the bad guy instead. I'd like to go back to the gold old days when characters had more common sense and never let crap like this slide. Also, back then they never easily tempted and always overcame such ploys to come out on top. Joe Cocker's song "Civilized Man" reminds of those good old times.

I have never been an emotional person; nor was I prone to doing anything reckless. The reason for that is because I've seen what happens when emotion gets the better of people. They go blind; start doing something stupid and make excuses to justify their actions. Now I know why in the novel the God Father, Vito Corleone never revealed, let alone, blurted out his feelings cause it left him open for his enemies to analyze his thoughts. It embarrassing and dangerous when a person goes blind and the consequences are always severe in the end.

Keeping one's emotions controlled, especially when things are falling apart is necessary when you need to solve a bad situation. When something needs to be done, you need to focus your energy and not let emotions distract you. Analyze the situation and make the necessary recommendations to solve it. Acting like a jackass never solves anything and only makes people hold you in low esteem. I guess that's the reason why I liked what Mr. Miyagi said when he told Danny never to put passion over principle because even if you win, you still lose.

No comments: