Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Excess Don't Cure Stress: Industrial Disease By Dire Straits



24 years ago, I remember I could guzzle down a case of beer or a bottle of whisky and still go strong. These days, I'll be lucky if after a couple of beers, I can still walk straight. Right now, I'm trying hard to find ways to make ends meet and booze and that vice isn't going to solve my problems. It's bad enough that I'm stressed out which is why I don't think alcohol, smokes and all what-nots are the solution. When I think about the stress of daily life and the will resist smoking and boozing, the song "Industrial Disease" by Dire Straits comes to mind.

Coping with stress in a fast-paced society is getting difficult everyday. The first mistakes that new adults with wages is guzzle and smoke it all down. That's all fine but you do it in excess, eventually it takes its toll on you and when pressure from work and family sets in, that's the time when you really need to clear your head. At the point where things are tough all over, people take to the bottle or other vice just to get away from it. In the end, all you get is double the problems and solutions: a big fat 0.

These days, I try to clear my head and organize my thoughts when the stress bears down on me. I take to exercise to physically stay in shape and to channel my pressure out productively. Stress and vices really have a negative effect on a person which is like solving a wrong with another wrong. It's okay to have a swig when the time is right. Until then, keep your head clear and your thoughts focused and the world will turn.

No comments: