Thursday, June 11, 2009

Suck It Up Kid: Estudyante Blues By Freddie Aguilar



In one of my blog entries, I mentioned a time in my life when I had to transfer less prestigious school because I couldn't with the environment in that "posh" school. Because of I always had to be careful of my studies that failure became a stigma for me. During my school years till finishing college, I always had to show that I could hack it and not fail in studies lest I relieve that dark day when I was cast out. When I see blatantly some students take their studies for granted and causing their parents a lot of grief, it really makes me mad. When I hear Freddie Aguilar's song "Estudyante Blues", I tell the character in that song "Suck it up kid"!

When I was growing up, our fortunes were always in the extreme: some days, we were up and some days were down. The hard part about that failure was that I had to prove myself to my family again and again. A lot of times, their word was law and if they were strict, it was because they just wanted us to be responsible and I understood even with all the pressure growing up. Because of that I developed a strong work ethic and even though we partied a lot, I was to keep my grades safe. Because times were a bit difficult, I didn't complain when they yelled because deep inside they were just tired and the least that I could was just do my best and stay out of trouble.

These days, a lot of kids take a lot for granted. It's not just peer pressure, but also the distraction brought about by technology that's causing not only poor academic performance among kids, but bad behavior as well. Sometimes I think parents are too lenient with their children and they don't take time to talk to them about what's really important. I think it's time to lay the law down on kids like these. They should responsibility and be aware of what they're parents go through everyday just to give them what they need, let alone want. Hopefully, they'll listen realize what their parents are going through and if not and they don't like what they hear well tough luck kid; shape up or ship out!

No comments: