Friday, May 18, 2012

R.I.P. Donna Summers: Let's Dance By Donna Summer





This morning I was browsing through the latest headlines on Yahoo.com and I was shocked to read the news about the death at Donna Summer.  According to the article, she died battling cancer and past away at her home in Florida.  As I've said before, I was not much of a disco fan, but nevertheless I was able to hear her songs when I was a kid and during her time, you could say that she was a true Diva.  She embodied the disco era and boy was she full of energy.  She had a lot of hit songs but the one she will always be remembered for was "Let's Dance".

This was on the soundtrack of the movie "Thank God It's Friday", where she also played an aspiring singer.  She later performed this on film and it set the dance floor on fire.  She was no one hit wonder as she had a slew of hit singles and album during the disco era. One thing I admired about her is that she was not afraid to walk away from the music that made her career which she stated in an interview.  I remember reading that she was active in other activities later in life.

Sad to hear the news about her passing.  I was glad to hear that she was still active throughout her life.  Today's stars can learn from her for she had class and the fact that she led a good life is proof of that.  She's probably singing in that big dance hall heaven where everybody is strutting their stuff.  For those of us who remember you and the era where you reign supreme, you will be missed.

No comments: