Saturday, May 19, 2012

Remembering The Wolfman: Clap For The Wolfman By The Guess Who



I use to remember  when I was a kid when I was listening to the radio, I would be surprised to hear an American DJ on the air.  I don't remember the station but I do remember the DJ who was on the air.  His name was Robert Weston Smith,  He was better known as "Wolfman Jack"  Remembering him reminds me of the song "Clap For The Wolfman" by The Guess Who.

I often wonder how they were able to air a foreign program locally.  All I know is that I remember his signature howl whenever he was talking on the airwaves.  The 60's and the 70's were the height of his career. I evena remember he had a television show that featured both comedy skits as well as singers who perform their hits.  He was such a big star back then.

I didn't hear much from him when I got older.  The last time I saw him was when he was interviewed  during the   program "The Roots Of Rock And Roll' where he talked about Alan Freed.  Though I didn't hear much about him, I heard that he continued to be active in radio, television and even live performances.  I was saddened to hear that he died in 1995.  I guess that's why when I hear this song, I will definitely clap for the Wolfman.




No comments: